Friday 5 June 2020

A new Burning Desire!

With no commission work and no pressure to get stuff done due to the lock down I decided now was a good time to start on a new journey with Pyrography. I had a few nice pieces of wood already prepped for painting on so I used these. First up would be a couple of Hawkmoths together.


 Lime Hawkmoth & Eyed Hawkmoth
This was something very different to get into but I really enjoyed working with burning the designs onto the wood..this was going to be the start of a new journey.
Hardly leaving time to take a breath as it were, I prepped and got going on the next piece, a Barn Owl.

 I was probably using all the wrong tips and burning in the incorrect way but it was a learning curve with shadow shading and detailing and tones but great fun, it took a lot more concentration to get things right, it wasn't like a drawing where I could erase a mistake!!

 The colour of the burning just added to the work as it matched the tones of a real Barn Owl. Really enjoyable and I already knew I had a lovely piece of Cherry wood measuring around 2ft, a jump up from my first 2 pieces but I was hooked....and my next subject was a Red Deer stag. Stay tuned to see how that went of if you want to follow my progress then follow me on Instagram as " hairyartist67 "