Thursday, 29 January 2015

Back to the Birds.

I must admit that in between paintings that you see on this Blog, I do start on some with all good intentions but if something does not look right or seem to be progressing, then it is deemed for the bin or fire, if I'm not happy how a painting is progressing I have to leave it! After the Hare painting for Sarah I went back to birds and started with a Hummingbird, I then tried a new technique I have not used before.

For the background on this Blackburnian Warbler and Yellow Browed Warbler below, I made a wet colour wash and then placed clingfilm over the wet areas. It took some time to dry but gave a totally new and radical effect to the backdrop. This is a method I shall use again but with perhaps a few tweaks to gain a more pleasing effect.